Latest Recreation

  Graham Maggs

            Good intentions

        My latest re-creation

           My Saturday Job

Episode one

The purchase

   May 2018


<<<  From tired         

Triumph Spitfire




To D-type  replica


1968 mk3 Triumph Spitfire

Trip home from Barry, South Wales, Mid May 2018.

Full inspection of chassis did not reveal any horrors with the engine and gear box removed.

Engine can now be very easily checked over, head and sump off with all gaskets replaced.

Interior being stripped, parts, fixings    etc are all bagged and labelled.

Carry out final repairs  prior to taking chassis to be stripped and marine grade powder coated.

Chassis undergoing one of its stages prior to powder coating and baking etc.

Car seems to be coming apart quite easily, looks to have had work done some time ago.

So while the chassis is away, I can get on and hand work the front and rear suspension parts.

Mid  August, and a good day today, collected the chassis from the powder coaters. exciting times.

With a little help, the tub could be easily liffted from the chassis on to stands.

Almost all of the original parts have been reused where possible.

Front suspension and component  assemblies compleated.

  Above, and we are now into September 2018, its a very satisfying period of any restoration, where almost all of the dirty work has been done and clean parts fit together easily.

Built a strong scaffold frame to load the body tub upon to so I can wheel the chassis in and out of the garage to work on the drive.

As always, thought better of trying to save the original rad, located and bought brand new larger rad as replacement.

New radiator fitted along with hoses etc, found TDC, did a rough tune and fired up the engine, nice to have it running again.

Fitted the twin SU's with a couple of Ram pipes, look nice but may well run with a couple of pancakes yet?

Okay, September, October, now into November, and I have moved work into my workshop in the back garden, heating, lighting and a sound system make it easier to work on the smaller parts than on the drive on these dark winter days.

Spring 2019, the next large stage, will be to remove the body tub from the scaffold frame, remove all the surface rust, repair and weld where required, cut down the tub and place back onto the chassis, enabling the car to be driven in and out of the garage, where in the future, I can think about attaching the new bodyshell.

Above, small items, paint and over40 odd years of gunk and rust stripped, treated, painted and re-assembled in my workshop, parts placed into a box and shelved until needed for reassembly in the not too distant future.

With the dashboard removed, the instruments could be examined, cleaned and re-assembled, although I shall only be using the fuel and temp gauges, I have managed to source and buy a nice set of mk2 Jaguar gauges as below, these should look nice in the special, and should go with the custom built dashboard and other gauges etc,

Above, the wiring loom was cleaned and inspected, loom has now been stripped and recovered with a roll of loom fabric tape.


Heater unit, motor and matrix removed and checked for leaks etc.  All components  cleaned and treated with rust remover before undercoating with primer prior to painting and reassembly.  Motor unit taken apart, cleaned and moving parts lubricated before putting back together.  Motor now runs at smoothly at speed.


  Gear box tunnel (fibre glass) was scrubbed clean and smoothed, primer and a couple of coats of paint applied to bring it back into good shape.


Original fuel tank flushed with tank cleaner and a hand full of nuts and bolts to remove the surface rust within.  All paint and surface rust removed from the outside before being treated with my usual brand of rust eater.  Fuel tank has then been coated and hung to dry before it's final coat of satin black paint.  Fuel sensor cleaned and  bench tested, seemed a waste to chuck when working.


Mid March 2019 - I have now removed the body tub from the scaffolding tower in my garage, I can now make ready to send off the body tub to be stripped and undercoated, on its return I can get on with the sill repairs and some minor welding issues etc, before painting and getting ready to place tub back on to the chassis.


    From the rear access plate cover, through to part of the gear box cover plate, accelerator pedal and steering wheel                           shaft, parts all removed of grease and grime, treated and then a new coat of paint to finish.

OLD NO.7 body kits. A352 kit.

Above is the fibreglass body kit I plan to eventually use for my Spitfire project, this will then form the basis for my replica, as you can see, the kit is quite heavily based on the Jaguar d-type, the kit shown above is a one peice shell,  there is an option to have the complete seperate flip type bonnet.

The kit above is the A352 and is supplied by Old no.7 Kits.

The A352 ia a body conversion kit based on the triumph spitfire. As the kit uses a cut down spitfire bodytub and an unmodified chassis and drive train it is free from IVA test and keeps the spitfire's original registration and tax free status.


Lorem ipsum sitame consteur adipscing eiusmo labore magna aliqua veniam quisnostr ercation

ullamco consequar puisate in velitsse cillumeu the nulla pariatur.


Address: Street Name City, State, Country.

Phone: (800) 0123 - 456 - 7890



Monday - Friday: 7am - 10pm

Saturday: 8am - 10pm

Sunday: 8am - 11pm


© Copyright. All Rights Reserved.